sábado, 7 de agosto de 2010

LONGEVITY

CALENDAR GIRLS

I am lucky! Just I turn on the TV and find just what I needed for my paragraph for this week.
This story happened in England, in a place called Yorkshire Dales. There the Women's Institute (WI) was dedicated to teach women about art of making jams, floral trappings, weaving and pastries, also they organized charitable activities. 

Each year they published a calendar with photos of landscapes or desserts, however in… they decided to take a different approach to the calendar. This time would show 6 naked women over 50 years old, in order to obtain financial support in fight against leukemia which killed husband of one of them. Each woman posed doing some of their traditional work: cooking, planting, weaving, playing the piano, etc. Photos bombed national and international headlines, which causes a revolt in the WI.

However this idea was more than a calendar about group of mad naked women, the calendar worked to give them a reason to live, to fight, to become invisible, to show the world their value and their beauty for all years. The controversial situation through they pass tested their friendship, solidarity, family, ethics and death. 

The story was made a film in 2003 - CALENDAR GIRLS - chaired by Nigel Col, but also was a theatrical release signed by Tim Firth. 

In each photo calendar girls carry a sunflower because the husband who died used to say: "I don't think there is anything on this planet that celebrates the life more than sunflower. I think that is the reason of their name. Not because it looks like the Sun, rather because it follows the Sun. During the course of the day, head follows the Sun’s path in the sky. Wherever it is, by weak it is, these flowers find it. That's something admirable and a life lesson".





No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario